Expert Texture Home Contact me About Subscribe Digipede Connect on LinkedIn rwandering on Twitter rwandering on FriendFeed

The blogged wandering of Robert W. Anderson

coComment

Much has already been written on coComment — clearly there is a great pent-up demand for this kind of service.
I decided to try it out. My past approach has been to rely on TalkDigger to go back and look for comments I have posted, though URL search is not as good as an exact list of my conversations.

The way you track your comments with coComment is through a bookmarklet. They have specific ones for the four main browsers. The bookmarklet is supposed to allow you to both track your newly added comments and also add your old comments.
I tried it out in both Firefox and IE7 (and Maxthon, too, which runs on whatever version of IE is installed).

A couple things I noticed so far:

• The bookmarklet doesn’t appear to work properly in IE7 due to a script error. The same may be true of IE6, but I will have to restore my VMs before I can try that out.
  • It works fine in Firefox when adding new comments (in both blogger and WordPress); however, I am unable to add my old comments. The FAQ suggests that a dialog box will appear, but it does not. Nothing happens.

It is a cool idea and I will keep evaluating it. I agree with Mike Arrington that including trackbacks would pretty much solve the entire problem of tracking one’s comments (and the responses to those comments); however, this is a great start.

Trackback

6 Comments »

Sid Steward wrote @ February 10th, 2006 at 3:59 pm

I’m curious to know why the bookmarklet failed in IE7. Any ideas? Thx.

Robert W. Anderson wrote @ February 10th, 2006 at 8:14 pm

No, I don’t know.  But, this is what happens:
Regardless of whether or not I’m logged in, when I click on the bookmarklet, I get a
Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?”
Line: 0
Error: Unterminated string constant
Regardless of clicking “Yes” or “No” and whether or not I’m logged into coComment, I get the coComment login dialog.
Properly logging in, I get the coComment icon next to the submission box (this is in WordPress), BTW.
I fill in my comments and submit them and get this error:
coComment
You have to login first to be able to send your comments to coComment.
Cookies don’t appear to be stored correctly. Please either allow cookies from anywhere in your preferences or go to the http://www.cocomment.com web page to login.  Clickign OK sends me back to the coComment login dialog.

cocofeedback@gmail.com wrote @ February 13th, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Hi Robert, thanks for your report! we will check on the IE7 behaviour you describe, as for the error message you are getting please come along to the coComment forums, we will address your questions in a more technical way for sure there. At a fast Glance it might be related to WP 2.0.1, it’s very fresh code also, anyhow this message will open a conversation (via coComment) so let us know about the evolution of this shortcomings since so far we have had a good curve with WP among others.

Sid Steward wrote @ February 14th, 2006 at 9:11 am

“Error: Unterminated string constant”

Hmm… My first guess is that IE7 has clipped the end off of the bookmarklet. This would be consistent with IE6, which permits only very short (508 characters, as I recall) bookmarklets. Excess text is silently dropped before processing. I wonder if IE7 has tightened this down?

Robert W. Anderson wrote @ February 14th, 2006 at 11:24 am

Well, the length of the bookmarklet’s script is 254 characters. This is of course, a rather suspect number; however, it appears to be the correct length. I don’t think it has anything to do with WordPress.

nicolasD wrote @ February 14th, 2006 at 3:40 pm

hello, just wanted to inform you that we just added the functionality to add old comments. We had a few surprises during our testing but now it works fine. Sorry for the delay and I hope you’ll enjoy it.

Your comment