Expert Texture Home Contact me About Subscribe Digipede Connect on LinkedIn rwandering on Twitter rwandering on FriendFeed

The blogged wandering of Robert W. Anderson

When will the M-Audio Drivers be available?

Last week I got one of these:

Fast Track Pro

I plan to podcast with it and use it to feed my headphone amp at the office.  I set it up with no problem and it sounds great.

This week I got one of these (on the left) running (on the right):Dell Latitude D820

Now, I am using it as a door stop:

Joking aside, I knew the drivers were unavailable before I bought it.  As a long-time owner of an M-Audio Delta 1010, I bought it having the faith that they would deliver drivers soon.  They did a terrific job getting WDM drivers out back when Microsoft first started supporting them (remember Windows ME?), and I bet they will do the same now.

They are clearly late this time (and some of their competitors are notably on time) and I do have a beef with their public statement (from their site, emphasis mine):

M-Audio has been keeping pace with changes to the Windows Operating System since the release of Windows 95 nearly 12 years ago.  We are very excited about the opportunity to offer continued support to our Windows customers as the Windows Pro Audio community begins the gradual transition to the Vista era.  Over the past year, we have worked directly with Microsoft’s Vista team to prepare for this release.

Currently, M-Audio does not offer Vista drivers or Vista software updates (beta or otherwise).  As soon as Vista drivers or updates for any product are available, this FAQ and other portions of our Web site will be immediately updated to reflect this.  Due to the nature of software and driver development, we are not able to provide exact dates or timeframes for when specific drivers will become available—but please rest assured that supporting Vista is a top priority for us.

If they have worked “directly with Microsoft’s Vista team” for the past year, then they should be able to tell us when the drivers will be available.

When, M-Audio, when?

Tags: , , , ,

Trackback

13 Comments

Jim Benson wrote @ April 7th, 2007 at 4:22 pm

The Pro Audio world may not wait and may just switch back to the Mac.

Apparently the drivers are no small update. They are a complete re-write, which includes a lot of testing with a lot of different configurations.

About two months ago, I was told it would be about a year.

Robert W. Anderson wrote @ April 8th, 2007 at 6:46 am

Holy crap. A year? I think I’ll return my new box before it is too late.

MAX wrote @ April 30th, 2007 at 3:08 am

Yes I got to agree that Im seriously pissed at the attitude to the timeframe given. If i was M audio I would kick myself in the nuts… Not at all impressed, been writing tunes with the mouse as no drivers for the keyboard and crap sound quality as am using laptops integral soundcard.

MAX wrote @ April 30th, 2007 at 3:10 am

Not finished me rant yet!!! if I would have known the trouble I would have stuck with xp until vista ironed out all its faults anyways… Am gutted so if anyone wants to storm the building at M audio let me know, we can beat them with copies of vista!!!

Robert W. Anderson wrote @ April 30th, 2007 at 5:38 am

Max, Good luck. Getting these things to actually work rock solid is never so easy.

I returned my FastTrack Pro and sold my Delta 1010. Now I have a MOTU Ultralite as a replacement for both. I really like it; but am dealing with either Firewire chipset issues or driver issues or something else. I’ll post when I’ve figured out if it works for me.

Chris wrote @ June 22nd, 2007 at 1:49 pm

I’m in the same boat with my Delta. As a developer I need to run Vista, but as a music hobbyist it’s frustrating to _have_ to dual boot XP in order to use my m-audio hardware. I’m aware that the driver update is no small change, in fact it is a total rewrite, but Vista was in beta for years and they’ve had plenty of time to catch up. (Also, why is it that their competitors have drivers already but they do not save for a handful of small devices?)

I will not buy m-audio products again.

Robert W. Anderson wrote @ June 22nd, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Chris, thanks for the comment. There are a lot of unhappy customers there. I’m not too happy with my MOTU Ultralite either. I do think there is some chipset compatibility problem, but MOTU is not too helpful resolving it. They appear to be aware of the problem yet instead of dealing with it, are hiding behind the ethereal “there seems to be an incompatibility” shield.

If it is any consolation, if M-Audio did have Vista drivers, they probably still wouldn’t really work yet!

Cheers!

Bruce Frostick wrote @ July 8th, 2007 at 2:45 pm

My pessimistic theory is that Vista drivers for the Delta series are NEVER going to be available, and they are holding off on telling us until we don’t care anymore.

Why? Because a major design goal of Vista is to make sure that rights-protected content is extremely difficult to steal, even if you are technically very sophisticated. Even to the point of requiring encryption of media data moving between the internal PCI card and the motherboard. (I have read this but can’t verify it.) If the manufacturer does not fulfill these requirements, Microsoft will not activate the driver. I doubt that this old hardware, designed in a more open era, can be made secure enough, whatever they do to the drivers.

That’s my pessimistic theory. But maybe it won’t be as bad as that. We’ll see, if we live long enough.

Nikolay wrote @ August 13th, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I’m in the same boat as Chris – I’m also using Vista for software development and I have to dual boot to Win XP in order to use any audio software.

It is really frustrating after reading articles like this one: http://rainrecording.co.uk/vista/performance , showing that the performance of audio software (Cubase) and VST/VSTi plugins is better in Vista than in Windows XP. Not being able to take the advantage due to the lack of drivers that should have been ready half an year ago is really frustrating. I am also not willing to buy other M-Audio products in the future, unless I have no other choice.

One of the reasons to choose M-Audio instead of EMU when I was buying my Audiophile 192 was that according to many sources M-Audio had much better and stable drivers. I thought that I will always on the safe side when drivers are concerned. I was wrong.

I know that the Vista layers have changed and it requires different drivers, that would allow in the future the audio software to directly use the audio hardware in a similar way as the audio hardware can be accessed under Mac OS/X. However, this future is not really close as the major developers like Steinberg are not going to throw their beloved and patented ASIO subsystem just in order to use the Microsoft approach.

I cannot accept that M-Audio didn’t have enough time to develop Vista drivers for the Delta series as Vista was available ages ago through MSDN. I suspect that they are going to drop the support for the Delta series. I hope I’m wrong, but in any case I would stay away from their products in the future. I think RME is going to became my next favorite even though their products are much more expensive.

Beerock wrote @ August 16th, 2007 at 9:36 am

Ahhhh…..I have the Audiophile 192 and Im about ready to break it in half. I have several M-audio products and I will not be buying any more in the future. I just bought the card 4 months ago and now its useless!!!

JB wrote @ September 2nd, 2007 at 10:43 am

I have the audiophile delta 192, like Beerock, and am feeling much the same. Personally I’m off the opinion that drivers for the audiophile delta series will not be produced for the DRM reasons that have already been mentioned on this forum so I’m reluctantly looking for alternatives…. does anyone have any ideas for a replacement to this card?

My sole requirement is that it has a stereo analog out and a similar quality to the delta… oh, and vista support!

Hallvard wrote @ October 17th, 2007 at 6:32 am

I just bought Audiophile 192 on impuls.. now i regret not doing what i normaly do and check the web first.. That was a Huge misstake.. At first i thought i had put it in wrong or something of the sort but this sucks. Both Microsoft and the Creators of this sound card could have done a much better job. Can’t handle anymore of the these “Vista problems” and im on the edge of installing XP.

Wish they could put a warning saying something like: “Not Vista compatible atm”, cus this sucks.

Ex-Maudio fan wrote @ October 17th, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Yeah this is BS, too much time has gone by now. I could have made a full album by now. M-audio you ruined your name in my book. I acutally returned an interface from Maudio, because it was not compatible with my Maudio sound card. NO JOKE!! The tech support from Maudio couldn’t even get it working. The tech support from Maudio said if I bought another brand interface it would work fine LMAO. WHat SALES TECHNIQUE!! take your business elsewhere. Are they trying to use reverse psychology on me or something??!!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.