On its own, identi.ca is interesting because of its promise more than anything else. I do like:
- It has a clean UI.
- It supports OpenID as a logon.
- It supports XMPP.
- Twhirl supports it with XMPP! Very cool.
- I would like to see it supporting GNIP.
A couple of observations about these kinds of services:
- I want a simplified user experience here. I want one consolidated view across these types of services and the ability to update once and submit everywhere.
- I believe Twhirl is working on this.
- We need a web-only solution. This might be Friendfeed, but only if Friendfeed can aggregate views of those I follow across services.
- We need a Twhirl for mobile. Maybe TwitterBerry can go this way?
- I can use a separate GMail account for these kinds of updates. Not ideal.
- Can Jabber servers understand a preferred client for messages sent by a specific contact? That way identi.ca updates could go only to Twhirl, if Twhirl is connected.